Remember Remember the 5th of November
Firework Night, also known as Guy Fawkes Night, is a British tradition which dates back to the Gunpowder Plot of 1605!
The plot was organised and conducted by the Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes, who attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament and King James I.
Today, it is custom to build bonfires, burn guys made out of straw and let off fireworks to celebrate the fact that he got caught.
Fireworks Are Not Fun For All
Unfortunately, fireworks are not fun for all! It’s estimated that 45 percent of dogs in the UK show signs of fear when they hear fireworks. It’s not just dogs, cats and other small animals also show signs of fear when it comes to the loud noises and flashing lights.
It’s not a problem that can be ignored. There are many tips and tricks that you can try to keep them calm.
If your pet seems especially distressed at this time of year, consult your vet or consider behavioural therapy. Dog’s Trust offer a Sound Therapy 4 Pets programme, designed to help animals cope with loud noises.
Top Tips to Keep Your Pet Calm
Check out our top tips for keeping your pet calm on Firework Night! The tips below are suggestions only, for professional advice please speak to your vet.
- Grab their favourite toy and play with your pet! Don’t force them, feel free to give them space or simply cuddle them if they prefer.
- Ask your vet about pheromone diffusers, they may help to relax and calm your pet.
- Walk them earlier in the day time, most fireworks will be set off once it’s dark.
- keep them inside away from the loud noises.
- Make sure they have a hiding place or a quiet area that they can relax in.
- Have them microchipped beforehand – so if they do wander off and get lost, you’ll be able to find them.
- Provide them with extra bedding so they can bury themselves and feel safe.
- Cover their cages making sure they still have plenty of air and can still lookout.
- Feed them earlier in the day, as loud noises may cause anxiety and loss of appetite.
If you have a top tip for keeping pets calm, let us know in the comments.