Find out more about
0800 848 8608
Freephone Our UK Call Centre
0800 848 8608
Be covered in minutes
Did you find this article useful?


How can we improve this article?

[contact-form-7 id="19018" title="help centre feedback form"]
Thanks for your feedback!

EHIC and travel insurance

Do you still need travel insurance if you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

The EHIC only entitles you to the same level of state hospital treatment as a citizen of the country you’re in, so if it’s free for the locals, you will pay nothing. If the locals pay towards healthcare, you too will be liable for these costs. You should also be mindful that standards in state run hospitals will vary and in some countries it is poor.

To see the levels of cover we can offer in addition to the EHIC, you can compare quotes from a selection of providers.

The EHIC is not a substitute for travel insurance. It does not provide you with cover if, you have to cancel or cut short your holiday; for private hospital medical costs; lost luggage; or for emergency air evacuation or repatriation, in the event you need to return to the UK. All of these events can come at a considerable cost, and if you travel without insurance you’ll be liable for them.

EHIC and travel insurance