Travel Insurance for Canada
Canada is a multicultural land packed with beautiful natural wonders including vast forests, glaciers and incredible mountain ranges. It’s also has some of the world’s best up-and-coming city destinations, with great food, vibrant culture and spectacular architecture all on offer in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver to name a few. So, for such an action-packed holiday in a far-flung destination, you’ll want comprehensive travel insurance to match.
Read our all-in-one guide for finding the right travel insurance for Canada.
Is Medical Cover for Canada Essential?
While healthcare is easy to access and standards are very high, there isn’t a reciprocal health agreement in place between Canada and the UK and treatment (including repatriation) could be very expensive if you have an accident or fall ill.
This means the safety net of medical travel insurance is especially important when planning a trip to Canada.
If you are choosing an annual multi-trip policy, you will need to select the region ‘Worldwide including North America.’
Benefits of AllClear Cover
- Medical expenses covered up to £15,000,000.
- Cancellation and Curtailment covered up to £25,000.
- Personal Belongings covered up to £3,000.
- All conditions. All ages.
Travel Insurance to Canada with Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
If you have a pre-existing medical condition, you far from alone, with NHS studies confirming over 15, 000,000 live with a long term condition in the UK.
Thankfully, many of us are still able to holiday abroad, but it’s important to know healthcare costs in Canada are on-par with America – making them amongst the most expensive in the world. So, if you need treatment for your pre-existing condition, you could be left with a hefty bill – unless you have specialist travel insurance for your pre-existing conditions.
At AllClear, we’re proud to have covered over 1,300 different pre-existing conditions for over 2.8 million travellers.
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
“I have travelled as far afield as Canada several times, and America as well as Europe, and I can go to these countries knowing I am fully covered if anything should happen to me. I am in my senior years so need to know my family will not face a huge bill if anything should go awry on my travels. Always found AllClear Travel most satisfactory and look forward to more years of traveling with their insurance cover.”
Your Additional Cover Options for Canada
As Canada is a top destination for outdoor sport and adventure pursuits, you might want to make the most of it! You might also be surprised with how many activities can be covered under your travel insurance without an additional charge. Such as rowing, sailing or horse riding on AllClear Gold or Gold Plus policies.
For an additional cost, you can also get specialist winter sports coverage from AllClear, not only to cover activities like skiing or snowboarding, but also for events such as piste closure, lost ski passes, extra protection for equipment, and cover for hiring equipment should yours be damaged or lost.
Have you booked your flights and accommodation separately? AllClear offer protection for airline or end supplier failure as standard to make sure you don’t lose money if your travel company goes bust and they aren’t protected by the ABTA or ATOL schemes. Please be aware other providers may not offer this cover.
Quote Online in 3 Simple Steps
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Canada Travel Tips
Take note of these 4 travel tips to make sure you’re ready for Canada’s rules, language and culture.
- You’ll need to have an electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) in place before you can board a flight to the country.
- You can apply for them on the Canadian government website for a fee of $7 CAD and most applications are approved very quickly.
- The currency is the Canadian dollar which is readily available at currency providers.Tipping culture in Canada is similar to that in the United States.
- It’s customary to leave a tip of around 15% – 20% of your total bill for your restaurant server as well as tipping taxi drivers, valet and housekeeping staff.
- In Canada, the advertised price of an item or service may not be the final price you pay as taxes will be added to your bill at the checkout. Each of the provinces in Canada have their own sales tax rules so it’s likely you’ll pay different rates for the same item depending on where you buy it.
- Canada is the second biggest country in the world and spans 5 time-zones, so if you’re planning to move around, you’ll need to allow plenty of time and remember to change your clocks!
- Remember that around 20% of Canadians speak French as their first language. Most of these live in Quebec, so if it’s part of your travel plans it may be worth learning a few phrases.
We hope you found our guide to travel insurance for Canada helpful and enjoy your next trip!
If you would like to take us with you, click the quote now button below to compare up to 61 prices!
Frequently Asked Questions About Canada Travel Insurance
When does the cover begin?
Full benefits begin on the travel dates you have selected. However, if you have chosen cancellation cover to be included, this cover begins as soon as you buy your policy. For this reason, it’s important to buy your travel insurance as early as possible – or as soon as you have your trip booked. You can book a single trip policy up to 12 months in advance of your holiday.
What is the age limit on Canada Travel Insurance policy?
We’re pleased to say our AllClear Gold and Gold Plus policies have no age limits. During your quote, you’ll only be shown quotes which can cover your age category.
What’s the maximum trip length on a single trip travel insurance policy?
Allowed trip lengths vary between policies, however, the maximum you can get for a single trip quote online is for up to 92 days. Find out more about maximum trip durations here: How long you can travel for.
Is it best to buy a single or an annual multi-trip policy?
Whether buying a single or annual multi-trip policy is best for you, it depends on how often you intend to travel during the next 12 months. If you are going on holiday multiple times throughout the year, an annual policy could work out better value for you.
With an annual multi-trip policy you can travel as many times as you like throughout the period of your insurance. There are, however, limits on the number of days you can be away for any one trip; which for some providers also depends upon your age.
What is your ‘Before you Buy’ checklist?
† 3 months FREE and 20% discount offer applies to AllClear Gold, Gold Plus and Platinum annual policies only. Discount only applies to the base premium and does not apply to any premium generated to cover medical conditions. Offer expires on 14 July 2020 at 23:59.