Travel Insurance for Mexico
Mexico’s incredible culture, combined with its stunning coastlines and fascinating history, make it a top holiday destination for city-breakers and beach-lovers alike. Whether you’re planning to swim in beautiful jungle lagoons or watch luchadores in Mexico City, you’ll need to pack comprehensive travel insurance for Mexico to protect such a great trip…
Read on to discover how to find the perfect policy, and plan for your holiday in Mexico!
Do You Really Need Travel Insurance for Mexico?
In short, yes! As while you won’t be prevented from entering the country, if you don’t have insurance you aren’t entitled to free healthcare in Mexico.
Travelling without insurance can be tempting for UK holidaymakers, in fact, research from the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) found that up to 8.6 million holidaymakers travelled without insurance for their summer holiday in 2019. However, the claims stats reveal the true value of cover: a British traveller needs medical emergency medical treatment abroad every 3 minutes.
To give you an example of the potential medical expenses costs in Mexico… this year a 50 year old woman from West Bromwich was hospitalised with pneumonia and bronchiolitis in Mexico and was given a medical bill over £300,000.
Save yourself having to juggle all these figures and the risk of travelling uninsured by choosing comprehensive travel insurance for Mexico.
Travel Insurance for Mexico If You Have Pre-existing Medical Conditions
If you are living with a pre-existing medical condition, you’ll know travel insurance takes on extra importance for your peace of mind abroad. AllClear have been experts in medical travel insurance since the year 2000, trusted by over 3 million holidaymakers for comprehensive cover.
Could we help you find the right cover for Mexico?
Benefits of an AllClear Policy
- Medical expenses covered up to £15,000,000.
- Cancellation and Curtailment covered up to £25,000.
- Personal Belongings covered up to £3,000.
- All conditions. All ages.
What Should Travel Insurance for Mexico Cover?
A good travel insurance policy for Mexico should including the following benefits:
- Extensive medical expenses cover. We offer 24/7 access to the largest medical assistance network in the world, wherever you are in Mexico
- Comprehensive cancellation cover before and during your journey, which covers the cost of any unused flights, accommodation and pre-booked activities on your policy. We’re pleased to say every AllClear policy also includes repatriation back to the UK when medically necessary
- Baggage and personal possessions cover against loss, damage and theft. Will you be bringing expensive gadgets to Mexico? Items such as your mobile phone, camera or laptop are usually excluded from baggage and personal possessions cover. As an add-on to your policy, we can offer gadget cover up to 7 items for £3,000
- Cover for airline and end supplier failure. If you have booked your flights and accommodation separately for Mexico your holiday is unlikely to be ABTA or ATOL protected if your booking company goes bust. AllClear offer protection for airline or end supplier failure as standard to make sure you aren’t left out of pocket
Get Quotes in 3 Simple Steps
Compare up to 61 prices online for find your perfect policy with AllClear
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Tips for Visiting Mexico
If you’re visiting Mexico as a tourist you won’t need a visa, but you will need a tourist card called a ‘Forma Migratoria Multiple’. You can get this when you arrive, and some airlines will help you sort them on your flight. If you’re a bit more organised, you can sort it online on the Mexican Government website.
You’ll need to keep hold of your tourist card as you’ll need it when you leave. Additionally, you must remember that your passport will need to be valid for at least 6 months from the day you arrive in Mexico.
The currency is the Mexican Pesos (M$) and is available at plenty of cash machines in big cities. Hotel staff will not expect to be tipped but will appreciate it greatly, however, it is customary to leave a tip for restaurant staff and porters.
The NHS Fit for Travel website’s information on Mexico suggest that you should see your doctor at least one month before you travel just to double-check you’re fit. The NHS also advises travellers to get a Hepatitis A jab – usually free on the NHS.
Guidance on Mexico from the FCO says it is not generally safe to drink or use tap water to brush your teeth and you should only drink bottled water and avoid ice in your drink.
Likewise, it also states that many places in Mexico, including Mexico City, are at high altitudes and you may experience some fatigue, headaches and other symptoms of altitude sickness when you first arrive but you’ll feel better in a couple of days if you take it easy and stay hydrated.
Spanish is the official language but some English is spoken!
Why More Than 3 million People Trust AllClear Cover
97% of customers rate us as ‘Excellent’ or ‘Great’.
Great company, had an issue in Mexico and I needed 2 days in hospital and they sorted it all out, fantastic service, highly recommend this company.
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
We hope you found our guide to travel insurance for Mexico helpful and enjoy your next trip!
If you would like to take us with you, click the quote now button below to compare up to 61 prices!
† 3 months FREE and 20% discount offer applies to AllClear Gold, Gold Plus and Platinum annual policies only. Discount only applies to the base premium and does not apply to any premium generated to cover medical conditions. Offer expires on 14 July 2020 at 23:59.