Do I Need Travel Insurance for UK Holidays?
Travel insurance within the UK may not seem like a necessity, but just because you are in the UK doesn’t mean you won’t face the same uncertainties as you would when travelling abroad.
Whether you are planning a weekend break to London or a week-long stay in the Scottish Highlands, you still face the risk of cancellations, disruptions and lost belongings, as well as unexpected medical expenses, such as a private GP visit to your location.
Any actual medical treatment in the UK will be covered by the NHS, but if you are forced to end your trip early, travel insurance can ensure that you can get your money back for having to cut your trip short.
What Does My UK Travel Insurance Cover?
AllClear offers travel insurance in the UK for singles, couples, families and groups, so there is little reason not to get yourself covered. A good policy will provide high levels of cover for:
- Travel delays and transport cancellations.
- If you’ve had to book transport in advance, a travel insurance policy will cover you if you run into unexpected delays or cancellations. Transport providers may not refund you if a trip is cancelled due to factors beyond their control – including some weather events – so insurance cover can provide reassurance. Some insurers may not cover internal flights so it’s important to check for this when buying a policy.AllClear also includes protection for end supplier failure to make sure you don’t lose money if your travel company or airline goes bust. Other providers may offer this kind of cover with an additional charge.
- Baggage, personal possessions and cash.
- Check your policy offers sufficient cover in the event that your baggage, possessions or cash are stolen. Also check that your baggage is covered if it is damaged during transport.
- Cancellation and curtailment.
- If you can’t go on your holiday or have to cut it short due to an emergency including illness or injury.
You should also consider any activities you plan to enjoy while away. The UK is the ‘home of golf’ and hosts a list of world-famous courses. If you plan to enjoy them, a specialist policy that covers your clubs, celebratory hole-in-one drinks and course fees is worth considering.
Benefits of an AllClear Policy
- Medical expenses covered up to £15,000,000.
- Cancellation and Curtailment covered up to £25,000.
- Personal Belongings covered up to £3,000.
- All medical conditions. All ages.
UK Travel Insurance With Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
Thanks to the NHS, the cost of any medical treatment needed during your UK stay is covered. However, travellers with a pre-existing medical condition should consider getting specialist cover for cancellation and curtailment.
Travel insurance for the Isle of Man & Channel Islands
The Channel Islands (including Guernsey, Jersey, Alderney, Herm and Sark) and the Isle of Man do not have the NHS. Each island has a different approach to covering healthcare costs with some providing emergency care for free but charging for GP visits while others will require you to pay for everything including ambulance services. The Channel Islands and Isle of Man do not accept the EHIC either.
Get Online Quotes in 3 Simple Steps
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Why More Than 3 Million People Have Chosen AllClear
97% of customers rate us as ‘Excellent’ or ‘Great’ and you can compare prices online to find your perfect policy.
“A contented customer”
I have been with AllClear Travel for a few years now, having the peace of mind that they will provide insurance for me in spite of my chronic health problems means I have the confidence to travel like anyone else. My renewal this year was made so much easier by speaking with Callum, having someone who could clearly answer all of my questions and could bring a sense of humour to what is usually a dry process was very appreciated.
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
We hope you found our guide to travel insurance for the UK helpful and enjoy your next trip!
If you’d like to start quote, click the quote now button below.
Frequently Asked Questions About UK Travel Insurance
When does the cover begin?
Full benefits begin on the travel dates you have selected. However, if you have chosen a cancellation cover to be included, this cover begins as soon as you buy your policy. For this reason, it’s important to buy your travel insurance as early as possible – or as soon as you have your trip booked. You can book a single trip policy up to 12 months in advance of your holiday.
What is the age limit on UK Travel Insurance policy?
We’re pleased to say our AllClear Gold and Gold Plus policies have no age limits. During your quote, you’ll only be shown quotes which can cover your age category.
Do you need a single trip travel insurance if you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?
If you have an EHIC (which used to be called the E111), you get medical treatment at the same price as the residents within EU countries you’re visiting. This often means either free or reduced costs. However, the EHIC does not cover you for all eventualities, and so you also need comprehensive travel insurance. For example, if you’re taken to a private clinic in a private ambulance, you won’t be covered. The EHIC also doesn’t cover the cost of repatriation if you need to be flown back to the UK following an accident on holiday.
What’s the maximum trip length on a single trip travel insurance policy?
Allowed trip lengths vary between policies, however, the maximum you can get for a single trip quote online is for up to 92 days. Find out more about maximum trip durations here: How long you can travel for.
Is it best to buy a single or an annual multi-trip policy?
Whether buying a single or annual multi-trip policy is best for you, it depends on how often you intend to travel during the next 12 months. If you are going on holiday multiple times throughout the year, an annual policy could work out better value for you.
With an annual multi-trip policy you can travel as many times as you like throughout the period of your insurance. There are, however, limits on the number of days you can be away for any one trip; which for some providers also depends upon your age.