Travel Insurance for the UK
Home sweet home…the UK may be one of the best and most diverse holiday locations in the world. From surfing on one of Wales’ world-class beaches to skiing in Scotland and city-breaks in London – you can do pretty much anything and it’s all on your doorstep.
Most travellers however forget an essential purchase when planning a so-called ‘staycation’ – travel insurance. While the NHS is a great safety net should you fall ill or get injured, there’s a few more risks that a good travel insurer will cover.
Here’s what to look for in holiday insurance for the UK.
Why Do I Need Travel Insurance for the UK?
Many UK-based holidaymakers assume that they don’t need travel insurance as they’re staying in the same country but even if you’re only driving a few hours down the road for a well-earned break, many of the holiday risks remain the same.
While any medical treatment you need in the UK will be covered by the NHS, good travel insurance can also give you cover for delays, personal property and cancellation and having to cut your holiday short due to a medical emergency.
If you’ve bought an annual multi-trip policy, you may already be covered for UK holidays so it’s a good idea to double-check before buying a new policy.
What Does My UK Travel Insurance Cover?
A good policy will provide high levels of cover for:
- Travel delays and transport cancellations.
- If you’ve had to book transport in advance, a travel insurance policy will cover you if you run into unexpected delays or cancellations. Transport providers may not refund you if a trip is cancelled due to factors beyond their control – including some weather events – so insurance cover can provide reassurance. Some insurers may not cover internal flights so it’s important to check for this when buying a policy.AllClear also includes protection for end supplier failure to make sure you don’t lose money if your travel company or airline goes bust. Other providers may offer this kind of cover with an additional charge.
- Baggage, personal possessions and cash.
- Check your policy offers sufficient cover in the event that your baggage, possessions or cash are stolen. Also check that your baggage is covered if it is damaged during transport.
- Cancellation and curtailment.
- If you can’t go on your holiday or have to cut it short due to an emergency including illness or injury.
You should also consider any activities you plan to enjoy while away. The UK is the ‘home of golf’ and hosts a list of world-famous courses. If you plan to enjoy them, a specialist policy that covers your clubs, celebratory hole-in-one drinks and course fees is worth considering.
Benefits of an AllClear Policy
- Medical expenses covered up to £15,000,000.
- Cancellation and Curtailment covered up to £5,000.
- Personal Belongings covered up to £3,000.
- All ages. All medical conditions. All destinations.
UK Travel Insurance With Pre-Existing Medical Conditions
Thanks to the NHS, the cost of any medical treatment needed during your UK stay is covered. However, travellers with a pre-existing medical condition should consider getting specialist cover for cancellation and curtailment.
Will I Be Covered by the NHS in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man?
The Channel Islands (including Guernsey, Jersey, Alderney, Herm and Sark) and the Isle of Man do not have the NHS. Each island has a different approach to covering healthcare costs with some providing emergency care for free but charging for GP visits while others will require you to pay for everything including ambulance services.
The Channel Islands and Isle of Man do not accept the EHIC either.
All of this makes good quality travel insurance an essential purchase.
Get Online Quotes in 3 Simple Steps
Why More Than 3 Million People Have Chosen AllClear
97% of customers rate us as ‘Excellent’ or ‘Great’ and you can compare up to 61 prices online to find your perfect policy.
“A contented customer”
I have been with AllClear Travel for a few years now, having the peace of mind that they will provide insurance for me in spite of my chronic health problems means I have the confidence to travel like anyone else. My renewal this year was made so much easier by speaking with Callum, having someone who could clearly answer all of my questions and could bring a sense of humour to what is usually a dry process was very appreciated.
Read AllClear Truspilot Reviews
We hope you found our guide to travel insurance for the UK helpful and enjoy your next trip!
If you’d like to start quote, click the quote now button below.