It can be a challenge for all of us, even at the best of times, to get and more importantly remain comfortable when flying! It’s no secret that long-haul flights can cause joint pain and muscle stiffness – so we’ve put together a seating guide and packing checklist as well as some top tips to help ease any symptoms you may experience and keep you as comfortable as possible whilst flying!
- Pack Smart. Use a wheelable light-weight suitcase to reduce any heavy loads. 4 wheeled suitcases with an extendable handle are easier to move around with minimal effort.
- Mobility Assistance. If you notify your airline 48 hours in advance, they can provide staff to help assist you with luggage and boarding to help reduce stress throughout your journey.
- Mind Your Meds. Keep a note from your GP stating what medication you are on and your dosage. If your medication needs to be kept cool, you can notify your airline in advance so the cabin crew will be able to keep in refrigerated.
- Book an Aisle Seat. This will enable you to get on and off the plane quicker, to move around easier and provide you with more legroom.
Whilst in the air
- Joint Support & Travel Accessories. To try and make your flight as pain-free an experience as possible, take a lower back and neck support pillow. In compliance with the liquid limitation, you may also be able to take travel-sized cooling gel to help ease any pain.
- Stay Hydrated. Dehydration can make the symptoms of arthritis worse. It is important to drink plenty of water when flying and limit your alcohol intake as alcohol can increase dehydration levels.
- Get up and walk around. Sitting for a long period of time can be counterproductive to arthritis treatments. By walking around the plane throughout your flight can help to stimulate your muscles and keep your joints mobile.