Holiday insurance for the over 70s
Over 70? Our Holiday insurance for over 70s is designed to give you peace of mind on your travels. Our Travel Insurance for over 70s offers cover for all pre-existing medical conditions. Our policy benefits include Superior Covid cover2 for FREE.
Travel Insurance with medical conditions for over 70
More than 1 in 4 (29%3) of those we surveyed between the ages of 71-and 75 hope to have at least three holidays in 2022. If you wish to make the most of your travel opportunities, you’ll need Over 70s Travel Insurance, especially if you have a medical condition.
Over 70s Travel Insurance will protect you and your trip. It’ll cover you if you have an unexpected medical emergency while you’re abroad. As a specialist Medical Travel Insurance provider, we offer tailored Travel Insurance to suit you and your medical needs.
Make sure you declare all pre-existing medical conditions during the screening process.
What’s a pre-existing medical condition?
A pre-existing medical condition is any condition you’ve been diagnosed with or are taking prescribed medication for, in the last 5 years
Some examples of pre-existing medical conditions we can cover are:
Benefits of AllClear Cover
|Emergency medical expenses and Repatriation costs||Up to £10m||Up to £15m||Up to £15m|
|Cancellation* and Curtailment||Up to £2k||Up to £15k||Up to £25k|
|Extended cover||30 days FREE||30 days FREE||30 days FREE|
|Friend or relative to travel from your home area to stay with you if you fall ill with Covid-19||Up to £2k||Up to £2k||Up to £2k|
|Travel Delay||Up to £100||Up to £350||Up to £500|
|Cost of return flight due to COVID-19|
|Personal Belongings||Up to £2k||Up to £2.5k||Up to £3k|
|Personal liability||Up to £2m||Up to £2m||Up to £2m|
|Legal protection cover||Up to £50k||Up to £50k||Up to £100k|
|* If you buy a policy which includes cancellation cover|
|All these figures are per person and per trip|
Planning and protecting your holiday abroadThings to know before you go:
- Remember to check the latest travel advice from the FCDO for your destination. You will have no cover if you choose to travel against FCDO advice, unless that advice relates specifically to Covid-19 (check our Covid FAQs for more details)
- Check any entry requirements and quarantine requirements for your chosen destination
- Choose a Travel Insurance policy that includes Covid-19 Cover
- For information on how Covid might affect your trip, visit our dedicated FAQs page
Travel Insurance with Covid cover
All AllClear branded policies include Travel Insurance with Superior Covid cover to give you peace of mind. You’ll be covered for cancellation if you catch Covid-19 before your holiday.
Travel Insurance with Covid cover will also cover you for any Covid-related emergency medical expenses should you require treatment while abroad.
Do you need over 70s holiday insurance if you have a GHIC card?
The GHIC ensures that UK residents will receive the same level of healthcare as residents in that country in Europe. The GHIC is valid in the 27 countries within the EU. The GHIC, however, will not cover all medical costs that you may incur while you are away. That’s why it’s essential to also have over 70s holiday insurance before you leave the UK.
Why choose AllClear?
Our dedication to customer satisfaction has helped us understand our customers. We always make sure that we put their needs first. Discover more about the AllClear experience from our over 70s travellers
“Getting quotes for Travel Insurance when you are over 70 and with pre-existing medical conditions can be a painful experience. It, therefore, came as a ray of sunshine to be helped through the process by an incredibly helpful and lucid young woman. No jargon, hard sell or questions that I (doctor) didn’t understand. From start to getting the quote took a fraction of the time with other insurers and was also very competitive. Highly recommended.” – Dr Henderson
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
Simple 3 step quote process
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Need more stories to help inspire your next trip? Discover how AllClear helped Chris Smith with his Travel adventures after he turned 70.
Optional extras for the over 70s
With AllClear policies, you can tailor your policy to suit your individual needs. Optional extras can enhance your policy and give you the cover you need.
Cruise Travel Insurance: In addition to the usual cover found on a standard policy, it covers cruise specific issues such as; missed port departure, cabin confinement, itinerary change and more. Discover how AllClear cover helped over 70’s couple with multiple medical conditions keep on cruising.
Gadget Cover: if you want extra protection for your electronic items
Golf cover: if you’re playing golf on holiday, then golf cover can protect your equipment as well as other aspects of your golf holiday
Travel Tips for over 70’s
Whether you want to relax on the beach or have an adventure, our travel tips can help!
- If you’re taking medication, speak to your GP before your journey. Ask about any adjustments you might need to make in different time zones. Always make sure you have enough medication to cover your whole trip, with some to spare in case of a delay.
- Mention your needs ahead of time to your travel agent, hotel and airport staff. You might be surprised how helpful people can be
- Cancellation cover starts as soon as your policy, so booking your Travel Insurance early can pay off. If you sort this out as quickly as possible, then you can tick another thing off the pre-holiday checklist.
- Familiarise yourself with your Travel Insurance documents before travelling. A handy tip is highlighting all emergency numbers and contacts in case you need to use them or even saving them to your phone for ease of access.
- Have you lost your documents? Speak to our friendly Customer Care Team via Live Chat or give us a call on 0800 640 4811, and we’ll get you a replacement copy.
Frequently asked questions for holiday insurance over 70s
Where can you go with over 70s Travel Insurance?
What does Travel Insurance for over 70s cover?
Travel Insurance over 70 will cover you for medical emergencies, repatriation and cancellation costs. AllClear branded policies also offer cover for the loss or damage to personal property. We also cover travel delay cover. So that you and your belongings are safe while travelling to and from your destination and while you’re there.
Most importantly, it’ll give peace of mind, enabling you to relax and enjoy your trip.
What isn't covered by over 70s Travel Insurance?
An Optional Extra which does have an age limit is Winter Sports, which is available up to the age of 65.
However, we offer a diverse range of other Optional Extras with no upper age limits, including:
- Waiting list cover
- Golf cover
- Travelling companion cover
- Travel disruption
- Extended stay
For any other activities not listed in your policy booklet, you can contact our Customer Care Team.
When should you buy Travel Insurance for over 70s?
You can buy your Travel Insurance before or after you’ve booked your trip, but it must be before you travel.
A Single trip Travel Insurance policy can be purchased 12 months before your holiday. As soon as you have purchased your policy, the cover begins immediately if you have included the cancellation cover.
An Annual Multi-trip policy can be purchased up to 31 days before your first trip.
Should you get a Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip policy?
Single trip Travel Insurance covers you for a one-off trip on selected dates. It’s ideal for longer trips (over 90 days) across multiple destinations.
If you’re planning on getting away a few times in the next 12 months, buying an Annual Multi-trip policy can be cheaper. Annual Multi-trip cover also gives you the freedom to travel as many times as you like throughout the year!
The maximum trip duration does change between Annual Multi-trip policies. With an AllClear Gold and Gold Plus Annual Multi-trip cover, you can travel up to 45 days per trip. And you can even pay a little more to get an extension for up to 55 days!
How much does Travel Insurance cost for over 70s?
The cost for over 70s Travel Insurance will vary depending on the individual’s age, destination and duration of the trip. A person’s medical conditions may also impact the cost. Those with medical conditions are at a higher risk when travelling than those with none.
Find out how medical conditions affect the cost of Travel Insurance and which conditions may affect your choice of provider.
Written by Lydia Crispin, MA Content Creator at AllClear
Edited by Letitia Smith, M.Sc. Content Manager at AllClear
2 Covid cover rated Superior by a leading Independent UK Consumer Champion.
3 Based on AllClear’s Annual Survey, January 2022. 653 participants aged 71-75.
 Based on Trustpilot reviews of all companies in the Travel Insurance Company category that have over 25,000 reviews as of May 2021.