Comprehensive Travel Insurance for Amsterdam
Amsterdam travel insurance covers you if you wish to travel to Amsterdam with peace of mind at any age, even if you have pre-existing medical conditions. This type of insurance covers you for medical emergencies, even those related to COVID-19, while abroad, which is vital to prevent unexpected medical bills and unnecessary complications that could arise when you’re away.
Amsterdam is one of Europe’s top city break destinations, so you deserve to have top cover while you visit this breathtaking city.
Booking any trip is always exciting, but Amsterdam is somewhere special. To truly put your mind at ease, you want to ensure you have the best travel insurance to cover the costs of any unexpected problems with your trip.
With medical cover of up to £15million, as well of cancellation and personal belonging cover, travel insurance from AllClear provides you with confidence and security so that you can enjoy your trip without having any worries.
Do I need Travel Insurance for Amsterdam?
Travel insurance for Amsterdam is essential, as it is with any holiday or trip. You never know what might happen, and choosing the best cover for your needs is a must. With AllClear, you can purchase either single trip travel insurance, or join more than 30,000 of our customers who have annual multi-trip cover, which is perfect for frequent jet-setters and those who are frequently working abroad.
You can also choose who you want to cover with your travel insurance plan, with individual, couple, family and group insurance available depending on your trip. From here, we will ask you some basic medical questions about you and whoever else you are looking to cover. We will then present a variety of quotes for you to view and access before you ultimately select the quote that best suits your needs.
Is my European Health Insurance Card Still Valid?
Currently, you will get free emergency medical treatment in Amsterdam if you have a European health insurance card (EHIC), however, this is not guaranteed past December 2020 while Brexit negotiations take place between the UK and EU. We have more information about Brexit travel insurance if you are looking to travel past this date.
Until then, however, you will still need travel insurance to Amsterdam to cover things such as lost luggage and cancellations, as well as the security of knowing you are covered for any additional medical costs and repatriation that your EHIC card doesn’t entitle you to.
Research by the Association of British Insurers shows that travel insurers help 1 person every 3 minutes with emergency medical treatment and paid out almost £150 million for cancellations in 2018. With over 2 million Brits visiting the Netherlands and Amsterdam every year, the odds are that plenty of them will need help. If you’re one of them, you’ll want the peace of mind that a quality travel insurance for Amsterdam offers.
Benefits of AllClear Cover
|Emergency medical expenses and Repatriation costs||Up to £10m||Up to £15m||Up to £15m|
|Cancellation* and Curtailment||Up to £2k||Up to £15k||Up to £25k|
|Extended cover||30 days FREE||30 days FREE||30 days FREE|
|Friend or relative to travel from your home area to stay with you if you fall ill with Covid-19||Up to £2k||Up to £2k||Up to £2k|
|Travel Delay||Up to £100||Up to £350||Up to £500|
|Cost of return flight due to COVID-19|
|Personal Belongings||Up to £2k||Up to £2.5k||Up to £3k|
|Personal liability||Up to £2m||Up to £2m||Up to £2m|
|Legal protection cover||Up to £50k||Up to £50k||Up to £100k|
|* If you buy a policy which includes cancellation cover|
|All these figures are per person and per trip|
Will you be covered if you’re travelling during the COVID-19 pandemic?
There are three things to check so that you can make sure you're covered:
- You must be fit to travel
- The FCDO must NOT have advised against travel to your destination - check the FCDO travel advice
- You must follow the local government advice for your destination, checking and following their guidelines and entry requirements
You can then be covered for emergency medical expenses and cancellation for a positive diagnosis of COVID-19, with AllClear travel insurance with enhanced Coronavirus cover. Existing policyholders should read our Frequently Asked Questions if your trip is affected by Covid-19.
What Should I Consider when Choosing Travel Insurance for Amsterdam?
There’s plenty to consider when choosing a travel insurance policy for Amsterdam. The following are key elements of travel insurance cover that you need to carefully accessg:
- Medical bills and repatriation in case you need to pay for any medical care while travelling. In addition to repatriation, should doctors decide to transfer you to the UK on an air ambulance. We provide up to £15 million of cover plus 24/7 access to an Emergency Medical Assistance Service.
- Cancellation and curtailment if an unforeseen emergency or a medical problem means you have to cancel or cut short your trip to Amsterdam. You don’t want to end up out of pocket if you’ve booked flights, hotels and a canal cruise. AllClear covers this on all policies.
- Baggage, personal possessions, money, passports and travel documents against loss, damage and theft while you are travelling. We cover this and offer specialist insurance for expensive gadgets (up to 7) such as mobile phones and tablets. Such devices are usually excluded from travel insurance policies.
- Airline or end supplier failure to protect your money if your travel company goes bust and the ABTA or ATOL schemes don’t protect your holiday. AllClear offers this as standard on all policies.
What is Healthcare like in Amsterdam?
The standards of healthcare in the Netherlands are among the best in Europe. There are plenty of high-quality medical facilities in Amsterdam.
Until December 2020, your EHIC card will still be valid in Amsterdam while UK-EU negotiations continue. Aside from medical treatment, you’ll need travel insurance to cover everything else, including repatriation as well as cancellation and curtailment costs. Data from the Association of British Travel Agents shows that over a third of uninsured travellers who have had to pay additional costs on holiday due to not having appropriate cover have had to spend between £500 and £4,000.
If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112.
Get online quotes in 3 simple steps
Simple 3 step quote process
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Tips when Visiting Amsterdam
The currency is the Euro.
You don’t need a visa if you’re travelling to Amsterdam as a British citizen, however this may change after Brexit. The European Commission has proposed that British Citizens would be able to visit destinations in the EU for up to 90 days in any 180 days without a visa. This proposal is yet to be confirmed.
The official language of the Netherlands is Dutch. English is widely spoken throughout the country.
Local Laws and Customs:
You must be able to show your passport to police officers on their request.
The Netherlands does have a more liberal attitude to some drugs that are illegal in the UK. However, possession of prohibited substances or buying them outside of designated venues can carry a prison sentence.
Dutch border authorities are cautious of parents (particularly fathers) travelling on their own with children. People are regularly stopped for further checks at Schiphol airport. Occasionally, they are prevented from boarding flights. Therefore, you should carry a complete travel authorisation form and copies of any documents recommended.
Why more than 3 million people have chosen AllClear
“Clarity, simplicity and worry-free Medical Travel Insurance.”
…AllClear Travel has given both my wife and I peace of mind, and we are both looking forward to visiting our family in Amsterdam and to our vacation in September.
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
We hope you found this guide to travel insurance for Amsterdam helpful and that you enjoy your next trip!
If you’d like to start a quote, click the quote now button below.
 Based on Trustpilot reviews of all companies in the Travel Insurance Company category that have over 25,000 reviews as of May 2021.