Travel Insurance for Egypt
Egypt travel insurance covers you if you wish to travel to Egypt with peace of mind, no matter your age or pre-existing medical conditions. This type of insurance covers you for medical emergencies, even those related to COVID-19, which is vital to prevent unexpected medical bills and give you the support you need if you have any medical problems while you are away.
Egypt is an unforgettable travel destination, home to some of the most iconic historical monuments on Earth! The incredible temples and pyramids aren’t the only highlights, there’s also the Museum of Cairo, Luxor, cruises on the Nile… and the list goes on! With so much to see and just as much to do, you’ll need to pack quality travel insurance for Egypt to make sure you’re fully protected.
Read on for help in finding your perfect policy and get tips on how to plan a great trip!
Do You Need Medical Travel Insurance for Egypt?
It’s highly advisable to take out travel insurance for Egypt which covers the costs of any medical treatment, as there’s no reciprocal health agreement between Egypt and the UK. Private medical treatment in Egypt can be very expensive, with the World Bank reporting that 72% of healthcare costs are out of pocket for residents. Without the right cover your dream holiday could end up leaving you more out of pocket than you planned.
For some of us it can be tempting to travel without medical cover, after all, ABTA have revealed that over one in five Brits (21%) travelled without any travel insurance at all last year.
However, last year’s claims statistics by the Association of British Insurers tell the real story: Every 3 minutes a UK holidaymaker will make a emergency medical assistance claim from abroad!
Having medical travel insurance for Egypt will not only save you up to thousands of pounds in hospital expenses, but also cover you for repatriation from North Africa when medically necessary.
Benefits of AllClear Cover
|Emergency medical expenses and Repatriation costs||Up to £10m||Up to £15m||Up to £15m|
|Cancellation* and Curtailment||Up to £2k||Up to £15k||Up to £25k|
|Extended cover||30 days FREE||30 days FREE||30 days FREE|
|Friend or relative to travel from your home area to stay with you if you fall ill with Covid-19||Up to £2k||Up to £2k||Up to £2k|
|Travel Delay||Up to £100||Up to £350||Up to £500|
|Cost of return flight due to COVID-19|
|Personal Belongings||Up to £2k||Up to £2.5k||Up to £3k|
|Personal liability||Up to £2m||Up to £2m||Up to £2m|
|Legal protection cover||Up to £50k||Up to £50k||Up to £100k|
|* If you buy a policy which includes cancellation cover|
|All these figures are per person and per trip|
Will you be covered if you’re travelling during the COVID-19 pandemic?
There are three things to check so that you can make sure you're covered:
- You must be fit to travel
- The FCDO must NOT have advised against travel to your destination - check the FCDO travel advice
- You must follow the local government advice for your destination, checking and following their guidelines and entry requirements
You can then be covered for emergency medical expenses and cancellation for a positive diagnosis of COVID-19, with AllClear travel insurance with enhanced Coronavirus cover. Existing policyholders should read our Frequently Asked Questions if your trip is affected by Covid-19.
What Else Should You Consider for Travel Insurance to Egypt?
- While Egypt isn’t part of Europe, it is often included in that region of cover by travel insurance providers – including AllClear. Covering this region is cheaper than worldwide cover, and if you’re travelling more than once throughout the year, a European annual multi-trip policy could be very cost effective!
- Will you be bringing expensive gadgets to Egypt? Items such as your mobile phone, camera or laptop are usually excluded from baggage and personal possessions cover. As an add-on to your policy, we can offer gadget cover up to 7 items for £3,000
- Cover for airline and end supplier failure. If you have booked your flights and accommodation separately for Egypt your holiday is unlikely to be ABTA or ATOL protected if your booking company goes bust. AllClear offer protection for airline or end supplier failure as standard to make sure you aren’t left out of pocket
- Planning on active holiday? Egypt is of course renowned for great scuba diving and water sports, so you might want a policy which covers these activities too. Though you might be surprised with how many activities we can cover for free – such as scuba diving (up to 30 metres deep) on AllClear Gold and Gold Plus policies!
Simple 3 step quote process
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Travel Tips When Visiting Egypt
The NHS Fit for Travel website recommends that you visit your doctor around 8 weeks before your trip to check what vaccines and health precautions they advise. On top of that, the site suggests you consider getting a tetanus and Hepatitis A vaccine (usually free on the NHS) before travelling to Egypt. You can get Hepatitis A from contaminated food and water, so make sure you drink and clean your teeth with bottled, not tap water, as an extra precaution.
Vaccinations against Hepatitis B, Rabies and Typhoid may also be advised.
The official currency is the Egyptian pound (£E). Some hotels and tour operators will accept Euros. Cash machines can be found in the main tourist areas, and most hotels and restaurants accept the major credit cards.
Tipping hotel and restaurant staff and even tour guides is expected.
Visa requirements vary depending on where you are travelling to. You will need a visa to travel to Cairo which you can get on arrival from an authorised kiosk. If you plan to stay for 30 days or less, or you can apply for a visa from the Egyptian Embassy before you travel.
However, you don’t need a visa if you’re travelling to Sharm el Sheikh, Dahab, Nuweiba or Taba. When you arrive, you’ll get a free entry permission stamp which allows you to stay for up to 15 days.
Healthcare is available through private services or public services funded by the Ministry of Health. The FCO advises that you head to Cairo if possible or the nearest major town if you need medical treatment.
Additionally, the Travel Health Pro website states that Dengue fever is present in Egypt, so it’s important to guard against insect bites. This can be done by wearing long, loose and light-coloured clothing and using insect repellent.
Arabic is the official language of Egypt.
Why More Than 3 Million Have Trusted AllClear
97% of customers rate us as ‘Excellent’ or ‘Great’.
Some insurances wouldn’t insure my step-son for his Nephrotic Syndrome, yet AllClear would. We have got full cover including cancellation for a week in Egypt. Website was really easy to use and prices were good!
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
We hope you found our guide to travel insurance for Egypt helpful and enjoy your next trip!
If you would like to take us with you, click the quote now button below to compare up to 61 prices!
Frequently Asked Questions About Egypt Travel Insurance
When does the cover begin?
Full benefits begin on the travel dates you have selected. However, if you have chosen cancellation cover to be included, this cover begins as soon as you buy your policy. For this reason, it’s important to buy your travel insurance as early as possible – or as soon as you have your trip booked. You can book a single trip policy up to 12 months in advance of your holiday.
What is the age limit on Egypt Travel Insurance policy?
We’re pleased to say our AllClear Gold and Gold Plus policies have no age limits. During your quote, you’ll only be shown quotes which can cover your age category.
What’s the maximum trip length on a single trip travel insurance policy?
Allowed trip lengths vary between policies, however, the maximum you can get for a single trip quote online is for up to 92 days. Find out more about maximum trip durations here: How long you can travel for.
Is it best to buy a single or an annual multi-trip policy?
Whether buying a single or annual multi-trip policy is best for you, it depends on how often you intend to travel during the next 12 months. If you are going on holiday multiple times throughout the year, an annual policy could work out better value for you.
With an annual multi-trip policy you can travel as many times as you like throughout the period of your insurance. There are, however, limits on the number of days you can be away for any one trip; which for some providers also depends upon your age.
What is your ‘Before you Buy’ checklist?
 Based on Trustpilot reviews of all companies in the Travel Insurance Company category that have over 25,000 reviews as of May 2021.