Why do you need travel insurance for Gibraltar?
Gibraltar is a fantastic destination. Thousands of Brits visit ‘The Rock’ year-on-year, both on cruises and as its own unique holiday hotspot. Those visiting rely on their travel insurance to protect them should the unexpected happen. Gibraltar is currently on the ‘Green List but the pandemic has taught us all that it’s best to stay protected when travelling abroad.
As a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, many holidaymakers have faced financial loss. Those with high-quality cover were able to turn to their travel insurance providers for irrecoverable loss. In fact, members of the Association of British Insurers (ABI) are expected to pay out £152 million on travel insurance claims incurred in 2020.
Travel insurance is now more important than ever before. You’ll need comprehensive cover for cancellation costs and unexpected medical expenses.
Comprehensive cover when travelling to Gibraltar
When it comes to travelling, it takes more planning than it used to. So before travelling to Gibraltar make sure you:
- Check the latest travel advice from FCDO; this will help you understand Gibraltar’s entry requirements
- Check the ‘Traffic Light System‘ for quarantine requirements on return to the UK after visiting Gibraltar
- Buy comprehensive travel insurance that includes enhanced COVID-19 cover
Enhanced Covid-19 travel insurance for Gibraltar
Travel continues to adapt as the pandemic evolves. To reflect these changes, we continuously refine our products and services. Our Covid-19 cover has been rated Superior by a leading independent UK Consumer Champion and is included with AllClear policies at no extra cost.
You may be wondering if you still need travel insurance for Gibraltar if you’ve been vaccinated. While the COVID-19 vaccine helps keep travellers safe – travel insurance remains essential. In fact, 40%2 of AllClear customers surveyed said travel insurance is more important to them since the Covid-19 Pandemic.
We’re delighted that the UK’s vaccination programme has been and continues to be a success. Chris Rolland, CEO of AllClear, recognises the positive impact of the COVID-19 vaccination and its “enormous impact on holidaymakers”.
So, get the cover you deserve from the UK’s most trusted travel insurance provider2.
What should a travel insurance policy for Gibraltar cover?
When searching for comprehensive cover look for a policy that includes the following:
- Emergency medical expenses – cover for any emergency medical expenses for unforeseen circumstances while you’re away. To make sure you’re fully covered you must declare all pre-existing medical conditions.
- Repatriation to the UK – it’s vital to include repatriation (medical transport) back to the UK in your policy. Without this cover, you could face an extensive bill.
- Cancellation and curtailment – cover for cancellation or cutting short your holiday due to medical conditions or other unforeseen events
- Baggage and personal property – if your bags or personal property get lost, damaged or stolen while you’re away.
Benefits of AllClear Cover
|Emergency medical expenses and Repatriation costs||Up to £10m||Up to £15m||Up to £15m|
|Cancellation* and Curtailment||Up to £2k||Up to £15k||Up to £25k|
|Extended cover||30 days FREE||30 days FREE||30 days FREE|
|Friend or relative to travel from your home area to stay with you if you fall ill with Covid-19||Up to £2k||Up to £2k||Up to £2k|
|Travel Delay||Up to £100||Up to £350||Up to £500|
|Cost of return flight due to COVID-19|
|Personal Belongings||Up to £2k||Up to £2.5k||Up to £3k|
|Personal liability||Up to £2m||Up to £2m||Up to £2m|
|Legal protection cover||Up to £50k||Up to £50k||Up to £100k|
|* If you buy a policy which includes cancellation cover|
|All these figures are per person and per trip|
Will you be covered if you’re travelling during the COVID-19 pandemic?
There are three things to check so that you can make sure you're covered:
- You must be fit to travel
- The FCDO must NOT have advised against travel to your destination - check the FCDO travel advice
- You must follow the local government advice for your destination, checking and following their guidelines and entry requirements
You can then be covered for emergency medical expenses and cancellation for a positive diagnosis of COVID-19, with AllClear travel insurance with enhanced Coronavirus cover. Existing policyholders should read our Frequently Asked Questions if your trip is affected by Covid-19.
GHIC and travelling to Gibraltar
Travelling to Gibraltar and confused about the validation of your EHIC card following Brexit? As long as your EHIC was issued before the end of 2020, it will remain valid until its expiry date.
Before travelling, you should know that the GHIC is still not a substitute for comprehensive medical travel insurance.
Join the UK’s most trusted travel insurance provider2
Here’s what our customers have to say about their AllClear experience:
“Excellent Service First time I have taken out insurance with this company and felt they understood my Medical conditions and have confidence that I am fully covered. Kathryn was very helpful in answering all my questions.” – Diane.
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
Simple 3 step quote process
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Frequently asked questions
What are the ‘Green List’ countries?
As travel resumes, our aim is to help everyone travel safely. We’ve created an all-in-one guide on how to plan your post-lockdown holidays. It provides details of the traffic light system, and which countries are currently on the ‘Green list’. Gibraltar is one of the countries currently on the Green list.
Do you have to quarantine when arriving back in the UK from Gibraltar during the COVID-19 Pandemic?
When returning to the UK from Gibraltar, you will not need to quarantine as long as it remains on the ‘Green List’. However, you should always check which category it falls under on the Traffic Light System before travelling.
Can I use an NHS test for travel to Gibraltar?
No, you cannot use an NHS test to travel. You’ll need to take a private test. Read our Fit to Travel blog for more information and check the entry requirements of the destination you’re travelling to.
2 AllClear vaccination survey, February 2021.
Written by Lydia Crispin, M.A. Content Creator at AllClear
Edited by Letitia Smith, M.Sc. Content Manager at AllClear
 Based on Trustpilot reviews of all companies in the Travel Insurance Company category that have over 25,000 reviews as of May 2021.