Comprehensive mental illness travel insurance
Mental health travel insurance covers you if you’re living with a mental health condition and wish to travel with peace of mind. This type of insurance covers you for medical emergencies, even those related to COVID-19, which is vital to prevent unexpected medical bills and give you the support you need if you have any medical problems while you are away.
As a specialist mental health travel insurance provider, we understand the special needs you may require when travelling abroad.
When we think about medical conditions, while we might first think about our physical health, increasingly everyone recognises the importance of mental health to our well being too. All our AllClear branded policies offer mental illness travel insurance.
Benefits of AllClear Cover
|Emergency medical expenses and Repatriation costs||Up to £10m||Up to £15m||Up to £15m|
|Cancellation* and Curtailment||Up to £2k||Up to £15k||Up to £25k|
|Extended cover||30 days FREE||30 days FREE||30 days FREE|
|Friend or relative to travel from your home area to stay with you if you fall ill with Covid-19||Up to £2k||Up to £2k||Up to £2k|
|Travel Delay||Up to £100||Up to £350||Up to £500|
|Cost of return flight due to COVID-19|
|Personal Belongings||Up to £2k||Up to £2.5k||Up to £3k|
|Personal liability||Up to £2m||Up to £2m||Up to £2m|
|Legal protection cover||Up to £50k||Up to £50k||Up to £100k|
|* If you buy a policy which includes cancellation cover|
|All these figures are per person and per trip|
Will you be covered if you’re travelling during the COVID-19 pandemic?
There are three things to check so that you can make sure you're covered:
- You must be fit to travel
- The FCDO must NOT have advised against travel to your destination - check the FCDO travel advice
- You must follow the local government advice for your destination, checking and following their guidelines and entry requirements
You can then be covered for emergency medical expenses and cancellation for a positive diagnosis of COVID-19, with AllClear travel insurance with enhanced Coronavirus cover. Existing policyholders should read our Frequently Asked Questions if your trip is affected by Covid-19.
Frequently asked questions
Do you always need to declare your mental illness?
Yes, even if you no longer require treatment. However, please rest assured that during the Medical section of you quote, you will be able to accurately reflect your current health by answering a few short questions.
What if you need to declare more than one mental illness?
Declaring more than one mental illness is completely fine! We recognise that mental illness is incredibly broad and varies in its symptoms and severities.
What happens if your state of health changes after buying your policy?
If you require any unexpected medical treatment while you are abroad, for a new or pre-existing condition, you are entitled to the full benefits of cover.
If there is a change in your state of health before you travel, you must tell us at the earliest opportunity. To change your original medical declaration, you simply need to call our Customer Care Team on 01708 339029 – and they will be happy to make any adjustments. You should also note that in some instances an additional premium may be applied to your policy to keep your cover in place.
Is your travelling partner covered for cancellation if you need to come home early?
We’re pleased to say that any other travelling member listed on your policy is covered for cancellation if you need to come home early.
If they have a separate travel insurance provider, you can still seek to add Travelling Companion cover.
How is your premium calculated?
Your premium is primarily based upon your destination, trip duration, age and pre-existing medical conditions. Importantly, the level of benefits being offered to you as well. That’s why we offer a wide range of policies to suit your needs. What’s more, we are continually reviewing and analysing all of our claims data to ensure the premiums we offer are fair and accurate.
What if your mental illness condition is undiagnosed?
If you have an undiagnosed condition you’ll need to wait until your GP has provided you with a diagnosis (Source: NHS). Once you have a diagnosis, you’ll be able to run through our quote process.
What mental health conditions do you cover?
We know that mental illness spans a very broad number of conditions and we’re able to offer specialist mental health travel insurance cover for any mental illness you may have. You may wish to visit our travel insurance for those with anxiety page for further information on these conditions.
Do you need annual multi-trip or single trip travel insurance?
An annual multi-trip policy allows you to travel multiple times within a year. The maximum duration of these trips varies between policies. However, it is usually between 31 to 45 days.
If you need a longer trip duration or, if you only plan on travelling once in the year, then a single trip travel insurance policy may be right for you.
Simple 3 step quote process
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Our 5 star Trustpilot rating
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
Tips when travelling with mental illness
- If you need any support while abroad, tell people about your medical condition. Your Medical Emergency Assistance Team is available 24 hours a day – 7 days a week, whenever you need them.
- Avoid triggers of your condition by planning ahead.
- Embrace your travel experience! Many studies have confirmed travel can benefit our mental health. A study by Cornell University even discovered that we get more happiness from anticipating a travel experience than buying a new possession. Get your mental illness travel insurance in place early, so that you can focus on having the best trip!
- Get your mental illness travel insurance in place early, so that you can focus on having the best trip!
 Based on Trustpilot reviews of all companies in the Travel Insurance Company category that have over 25,000 reviews as of May 2021.