Terminal illness travel insurance with specialist cover
Terminal illness travel insurance covers you if you are currently living with a terminal illness and wish to travel with peace of mind. This type of insurance covers you for medical emergencies, even those related to COVID-19, which is vital to prevent unexpected medical bills and give you the support you need if you have any medical problems while you are away.
Being diagnosed with a terminal illness brings new considerations. Sometimes, travelling to a particular destination can become more important. AllClear are ready to help in this circumstance. While some travel insurers exclude cover for those with a terminal diagnosis, we may able to offer a quote, providing certain criteria are met. This article will explain how you could get terminal illness travel insurance from AllClear.
Providing a GP or Doctor has confirmed that you are fit to travel, that a transport carrier is prepared to take you and that your prognosis is not less than six months from the return date of travel.
Benefits of AllClear Cover
|Emergency medical expenses and Repatriation costs||Up to £10m||Up to £15m||Up to £15m|
|Cancellation* and Curtailment||Up to £2k||Up to £15k||Up to £25k|
|Extended cover||30 days FREE||30 days FREE||30 days FREE|
|Friend or relative to travel from your home area to stay with you if you fall ill with Covid-19||Up to £2k||Up to £2k||Up to £2k|
|Travel Delay||Up to £100||Up to £350||Up to £500|
|Cost of return flight due to COVID-19|
|Personal Belongings||Up to £2k||Up to £2.5k||Up to £3k|
|Personal liability||Up to £2m||Up to £2m||Up to £2m|
|Legal protection cover||Up to £50k||Up to £50k||Up to £100k|
|* If you buy a policy which includes cancellation cover|
|All these figures are per person and per trip|
Will you be covered if you’re travelling during the COVID-19 pandemic?
There are three things to check so that you can make sure you're covered:
- You must be fit to travel
- The FCDO must NOT have advised against travel to your destination - check the FCDO travel advice
- You must follow the local government advice for your destination, checking and following their guidelines and entry requirements
You can then be covered for emergency medical expenses and cancellation for a positive diagnosis of COVID-19, with AllClear travel insurance with enhanced Coronavirus cover. Existing policyholders should read our Frequently Asked Questions if your trip is affected by Covid-19.
Frequently asked questions
What is the definition for a terminal illness?
A terminal prognosis can be defined as the following: the opinion of your doctor or consultant that a disease cannot be cured or adequately treated, to the extent that it is predicted to cause a shortened life expectancy.
This prediction of a shortened life expectancy is key to the definition, as incurable medical conditions are not necessarily terminal illnesses. If you are ever unsure of your diagnosis, please contact your doctor for confirmation.
What if your life expectancy is less than 6 months past the return date of your trip?
While we are unable to offer cover in this situation, another specialist insurer may be able to help. Contact the British Insurance Broker’s Association (BIBA) on 0370 950 1790 – where they might be able to find suitable cover.
What if you're on a waiting list for treatment?
If you have been given a date for your treatment, simply declare the name of your terminal illness during the quote. You may then be asked questions about treatment, but the most important detail is declaring your diagnosis.
If you are yet to be given a date for your treatment, you have the ability to add the optional extra of Waiting List cover. Also, be sure to answer that you are on a waiting list for treatment during the initial medical warranty section.
What if the doctor has said you are unfit to travel?
Unfortunately, we are unable to go against medical advice, and would not be able to offer cover in this event.
However, if your doctor later confirms you are fit to travel again, we can seek to offer a quote.
Simple 3 step quote process
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Tips for travelling with a terminal illness
- Find out if you’re able to travel to certain destinations. You are committing valuable time, effort and finances for your holiday, so, you need to know if your destination is viable for your condition. It can depend on mode of transport, whether immunisations are required, and your treatment plan. Your doctor may be able to help where and if you should travel.
- Check out the healthcare quality in your destination. Will you be able to get the care you need if you become unwell? This is an essential part of planning your trip. Book safe in the knowledge you’ll be looked after whatever happens. Also, make sure you have the correct emergency telephone number for your policy. You can view them here: Emergency contact numbers.
- Plan for unforeseen loss of medication. Bring more than you need and carry them on you. Also, bring along a note from your doctor and prescriptions if you need additional medicines.
- Let the airline know in advance if you have any special requirements. Most are supportive and will go out of their way to make your flight as comfortable as possible. From early boarding and finding a suitable seat, to special dietary needs and organising oxygen, talking to the airline will improve your flight experience.