Family Travel Insurance For Your Holiday
If you are planning a holiday for your loved ones, a good family insurance policy should be on your packing list.
No matter where you choose to go and what you plan to do the right level of cover is essential for protecting your trip.
What Is Family Travel Insurance?
Family travel insurance is designed to offer peace of mind for each member of the family on holiday together. Everyone named on a travel insurance policy is covered for repatriation and curtailment should a member of the family get sick and everyone has to return home.
Most family policies will cover a party consisting of up to two adults and two children up to the age of 18 – but it’s always worth checking between providers.
Just like other types of holiday insurance, different levels of cover – as well single-trip and annual multi-trip options – are normally available.
When Is the Best Time to Buy Family Travel Insurance?
It’s always a good idea to take out travel insurance as soon as you’ve booked your holiday, but this is even more important when it comes to family policies. The cost of booking travel and accommodation is usually more expensive for larger groups and you could lose more money if something unexpected happens and you have to cancel your trip.
The Main Benefits
- Medical expenses covered up to £15,000,000.
- Cancellation and Curtailment covered up to £25,000.
- Personal Belongings covered up to £3,000.
- All medical conditions. All ages.
What Does Family Travel Insurance Cover?
Family holiday insurance can offer the same benefits for each person named on the policy as other form of travel insurance. This includes cover for:
- Baggage and personal possessions if they are lost, damaged or stolen while travelling.
- Medical treatment if any of your family gets ill or injured on holiday or needs treatment for an existing medical condition.
- Repatriation if you or anyone of your family needs to return to the UK because of a medical problem
- Activities if your family is planning an adventurous holiday. The activities covered as standard might surprise you; such as safari trekking and zorbing – but it’s still always worth checking.
- Cancellation, curtailment and travel delays if you can’t travel, need to come home early or miss a flight because of an airline delay.
- Optional add-ons to cover specific activities (such as winter sports and golf), types of holidays such as cruises or additional protection for gadgets.
Some travel insurers – including AllClear – are now offering protection for airline and end supplier failure to make sure you don’t lose out if your travel company or airline goes bust and your holiday isn’t protected by the ABTA or ATOL schemes.
What If Any Family Members Have Pre-Existing Medical Conditions?
Specialist travel insurance companies can usually offer cover for a huge range of medical conditions. AllClear for example can cover over 1,300 medical conditions from epilepsy and asthma to diabetes and cancer.
It’s important to remember that everyone named on a travel insurance policy is covered for repatriation and curtailment should a member of the family get sick and everyone has to return home.
Before buying a policy, all members will need to be fit to travel and remember to inform your insurer of all their pre-existing medical conditions during a medical screening process.
This is usually a few simple questions that will ensure they get the right level of cover and the entire family is covered.
The price of your quote will be based on each person’s age and medical conditions declared – as well as the length of the trip and the destination.
Get Online Quotes in 3 Simple Steps
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Should You Choose a Single Trip or an Annual Policy?
When buying family travel insurance, you will usually be offered single-trip or annual multi-trip policies. If you’re only travelling once or twice a year with your family, single trip policies bought for each holiday covering the dates specified are often the cheapest way to get cover.
If you plan to travel with your family 3 or more times a year then an annual travel insurance policy may save you some money. Annual family travel insurance will cover you for any number of trips within the 12 month period after you specify the cover start date. Importantly, family members are also allowed to travel independently on an annual policy. So you don’t all need to travel together to make the most of your 12 months of cover.
Why More Than 2.8 M People Have Chosen AllClear
We offer cover to 99% of customers and 98% of customers have rated us ‘Good’ or better at being helpful and friendly
First Class Service!
I spoke to Demi first who went through all my family’s medical conditions which are quite a few! She was easy to speak to and really nice and explained everything. I then called back later to buy the policy and spoke with Joe who again was very nice, confident and clearly explained everything else I needed. Really good customer service and the first insurance company happy to cover all our pre-existing conditions.
Sam T – TrustPilot
We hope you found this information on family travel insurance helpful and you enjoy your holidays! If you’d like to start quote, click the quote now button below.