Travel Insurance for South Africa
South Africa offers an array of opportunities for travellers from classy cities packed with art galleries to incredible coastlines and beautiful landscapes scattered with snow-capped mountains.
You can do pretty much anything from surfing in Durban, exploring Cape Town’s museums to going on safari in the Kruger National park.
With all this going on, you will need excellent comprehensive travel insurance for South Africa – here’s what to look for in your perfect policy.
Do I need Travel Insurance for South Africa?
While travel insurance isn’t mandatory, there is no reciprocal health agreement between the UK and South Africa, and you could be left out of pocket if you need medical help while in the country.
Unfortunately, a lot of people travel without cover in place and risk paying extensive medical bills. Don’t risk travelling uninsured and pack a comprehensive travel insurance policy for South Africa.
Medical Insurance for Travelling in South Africa
If you’re travelling with a pre-existing medical condition, quality travel insurance provides you with extra peace of mind abroad. AllClear has covered over 1,300 medical conditions since 2000, and we’re trusted by over 3 million holidaymakers to provide comprehensive cover.
We can compare up to 61 prices to help you find the right cover for South Africa.
- Cancellation and Curtailment covered up to £25,000, including for Covid-19
- Up to £15 million emergency medical expenses cover, including for Covid-19
- Up to 30 days FREE extended cover (if due to unexpected circumstances beyond your control)
- Up to £2,000, if medically necessary, for a friend or relative to travel from your home area to stay with you if you fall ill with Covid-19 (costs for room and to accompany you home)
- Repatriation costs, when medically necessary, to bring you back to the UK where it is deemed to be in your best interests
- Following recovery from Coronavirus, costs for a continued recuperation stay, when medically necessary and under doctors advice
- Costs for your return flight following your enforced stay due to Coronavirus
- Personal Belongings covered up to £3,000
- All conditions. All ages.
Am I covered for travel in the Coronavirus pandemic?
There are three things to check so that you can make sure you're covered:
- You must be fit to travel
- The FCO must NOT have advised against travel to your destination
- You must follow the local government advice for your destination, checking and following their guidelines and entry requirements
You can then be covered for emergency medical expenses or cancellation relating to COVID-19, when you have travel insurance with enhanced Coronavirus cover. If you’re an existing policyholder, you can read our Frequently Asked Questions if your trip is affected by Covid-19.
What Should I Consider When Choosing Travel Insurance for South Africa?
When you’re buying travel insurance for South Africa, you should look out for:
Are you covered for extensive medical expenses and repatriation cover? You’ll likely have to pay for any treatment you need in South Africa up-front so being able to get in touch with our 24/7 assistance service will help ease the pressure when you do need us.
Are your personal possessions and baggage covered? Against loss, damage and theft.
Are you covered if your airline or other transport company goes bust? If you haven’t booked your holiday in South Africa through a travel agent, it is unlikely to be ABTA or ATOL protected. AllClear offer protection for airline or end supplier failure as standard. This is to make sure you aren’t left out of pocket should your booking company go bust.
Are you going to take part in adventurous activities? South Africa is one of the best adventure destinations in the world. Scuba diving, surfing and safari are all part of day-to-day holiday life, and you’ll need to make sure that all of your plans are covered. We cover over 50 activities as standard on Gold and Gold Plus policies.
Will you be bringing any expensive phones or cameras to India? If you plan on filming your adventures, consider specialist gadget cover. Your mobile phone, camera and laptop are usually excluded from baggage, and personal possessions cover. As an add-on to your policy, we can offer £3,000 worth of gadget cover for up to 7 items
Get Online Quotes in 3 Simple Steps
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Tips for Visiting South Africa
UK citizens don’t need to apply for a visa for South Africa unless you’re looking to go for longer than 90 days. In which case you’ll have to contact the South African embassy.
Healthcare in South Africa:
South Africa has good healthcare with public and private facilities available. Emergency services in the cities are high quality, and primary care is also possible in most rural areas. If you need to visit a doctor for any reason, they’ll likely ask for payment straight away.
The NHS FitforTravel website recommends that you speak to your GP at least 6 weeks before you travel. You may need vaccinations for Hepatitis A and Diphtheria as well as making sure your usual boosters are up-to-date.
The number for an ambulance is: 10177
South Africa has 11 official languages. However, English is the most commonly spoken.
The currency is the ZAR or South African Rand.
Local Laws and Customs:
Smoking is banned in all public places. So, unless you’re on personal property or in a designated smoking area, you could face a harsh penalty for smoking.
Why More Than 3 Million People Have Chosen AllClear
97% of customers rate us as ‘Great’ or ‘Excellent’, and we offer cover to 99% of customers.
“It’s only AllClear for our travels.”
We have used AllClear for a number of trips, to Europe and South Africa. It is so easy to navigate our way through the medical history questions. We have tried other sites, but this is the best, especially that we are not all that keen on buying policies on-line. Thank you, AllClear.
We hope you found our guide to travel insurance for South Africa helpful and enjoy your next trip!
If you would like to take us with you, click the quote now button below to compare up to 61 prices!