Did you know that UK households are already anticipating multiple overseas trips next year – with each survey respondent indicating an average of 2.1* overseas holidays for 2022? Although the new covid-19 variant has caused a concern of a winter wave, the new AllClear data gives a clear early indication that British holidaymaker confidence is returning for 2022.
While holidays abroad are exciting so are UK staycations! With Christmas on the horizon, you may be one of the many planning to travel to see family or friends during the festive season. So, to help you prepare we’ve put together the following blog detailing what the UK has to offer and why UK Travel Insurance is worth considering…
UK Staycations: What the UK has to Offer this Winter
From historic cities and towns to nature trails and walks , the UK certainly has a lot to offer the intrepid adventurer and the relaxed holidaymaker alike. From the natural beauty of the inspiring landscape offering historic walks and nature activities to the early family holiday resorts such as Butlins and Pontins and later additions such as Center Parcs, the UK has always offered holiday goers some good old-fashioned entertainment and many of us love our UK breaks. The UK is adorned with lush greenery. It has beautiful towns and cities that truly encompass the ideal of the UK getaway. Offering family fun such as Windsor’s Legoland and London’s Harry Potter World as well as more relaxing countryside retreats we are sure you’ll enjoy your UK staycation this season, and you never know – it may become a cherished habit!
Do you need travel insurance for a UK staycation?
In short – yes! As we know, when a new variant of Covid-19 emerges things can change quickly. UK Travel Insurance can cover the costs should you need to rearrange your trip or cancel it due to a positive Covid diagnosis or the requirement to self-isolate, providing you have purchased a policy that includes cancellation cover.
UK Travel Insurance will also cover you for personal property as well as other medical emergencies that may not be covered by the NHS– you may need repatriating to your local area which will not necessarily be covered. With a UK travel insurance policy, you’ll find that the unexpected will be taken care of.
Chris Rolland, CEO of AllClear Travel, said: “While Travel Insurance may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a UK staycation it’s worth considering. The main benefit is, of course, cancellation cover which protects you from otherwise irrecoverable financial loss should you need to cut short or cancel your trip. “
What types of holiday does the UK offer?
Offering everything from hiking holidays along beautiful nature trails to cultural hubs of arts and music. The UK is just waiting to be explored and enjoyed.
- Nature and National Parks. – The awe-inspiring, dramatic landscapes of the Lake Districts and Peak Districts are truly a national treasure. Painted and immortalised by the likes of Lowry, Percy Kelly and Turner, these stunning landscapes are a must-see for the UK holiday-maker.
- Historic Towns and Hamlets – The UK has an innumerable amount of historic places, towns, hamlets, shires and villages – from the historic Roman town of Bath to the oldest Town in the UK, Colchester, to the modern metropolis of the capital city, London.
What are the best places to visit in the UK?
The UK has some great places to visit. England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales all have fantastic modern cities, idyllic British countryside and stunning coastlines.
- Cotswolds – With gently rolling hills and stone villages, you’ll find plenty to explore.
- Bath – The home of Jane Austen and the famous Roman Baths, Bath – the cool mix of city and countryside is sure to harbour something for everyone
- New Forest – With over 40 recognised hiking trails, walking or cycling.
- Lake District – Film tours, walking tours, art tours and cultural tours! The natural beauty is sure to blow away the cobwebs of 2020!
- Isle of White – Famed for its beaches and festivals, the Isle of White has beautiful coastal footpaths, farms and forests – enough for any short UK getaway!
- Oxford – From museums to shopping, Oxford is well known for having a little bit extra when it comes to city breaks. Culture is high on the list and as you walk through this historic city you’ll be charmed by the history and character of this famous English gem.
- North Yorkshire – Inspiring filmmakers for decades, visit Robin Hood Bay or see the Ruins of Whitby for a memorable day out
- Exmoor – Laying over both Devon and Somerset, Exmoor may be one of the UKs lesser-known national parks but offers a fantastic variety of activities including swimming with seals and exploring the beautiful park by steam train.
Are you travelling with children or grandchildren?
If you’re travelling with children or grandchildren, you may need some further inspiration. After all, with so many things on offer, you may be unsure where your next adventure should be. Here are some top attractions and things to do with kids throughout the UK.
Wherever you choose to go in the UK, we would love to hear from you about your experience.
- Author notes. By Daniel Davies, AllClear Medical and Travel Content Creator.
- *Research was carried out by YouGov on behalf of AllClear on 26 October 2021 among a nat rep sample of 2,011 adults.