When travelling abroad we buy insurance to protect ourselves, but why not buy add on cover to protect our gadgets aswell? Gadget cover protects your most valuable items such as your camera, phone, tablet etc – giving you peace of mind wherever you go.
Will you want to take pictures when you’re on holiday? who doesn’t! Nowadays, most people use their smartphones to take pictures so nearly everyone will travel with at least one gadget when they go on holiday – and these will often be your most valuable items.
Getting cover for your phone, camera, tablet or laptop, eases the financial pressure of replacing them when you come home if they get damaged or lost on your travels.
You’ll need to make sure you’ve got the right policy so here’s what to look for in travel insurance including gadget cover.
What Is Travel Insurance With Gadgets Cover?
Travel insurance with Gadget Cover insures you for the loss or theft of items such as your camera, mobile phone, tablets and laptops and is usually available as an optional add-on to your policy.
It’s important to remember that standard baggage insurance often does not include any of your gadgets and most standard policies offer levels of cover for single items that won’t be enough to repair or replace expensive gadgets.
With an AllClear policy, ‘Gadget Cover’ is available in the ‘Extras’ section of our quote process. We offer three levels of cover, giving you peace of mind that your valuables are insured around the world!
Gold – maximum 7 items up to £3,000
Silver – maximum 5 items up to £2,000
Bronze – maximum 3 items up to £1,000
Benefits of AllClear Cover
|Emergency medical expenses and Repatriation costs||Up to £10m||Up to £15m||Up to £15m|
|Cancellation* and Curtailment||Up to £2k||Up to £15k||Up to £25k|
|Extended cover||30 days FREE||30 days FREE||30 days FREE|
|Friend or relative to travel from your home area to stay with you if you fall ill with Covid-19||Up to £2k||Up to £2k||Up to £2k|
|Travel Delay||Up to £100||Up to £350||Up to £500|
|Cost of return flight due to COVID-19|
|Personal Belongings||Up to £2k||Up to £2.5k||Up to £3k|
|Personal liability||Up to £2m||Up to £2m||Up to £2m|
|Legal protection cover||Up to £50k||Up to £50k||Up to £100k|
|* If you buy a policy which includes cancellation cover|
|All these figures are per person and per trip|
Will you be covered if you’re travelling during the COVID-19 pandemic?
There are three things to check so that you can make sure you're covered:
- You must be fit to travel
- The FCDO must NOT have advised against travel to your destination - check the FCDO travel advice
- You must follow the local government advice for your destination, checking and following their guidelines and entry requirements
You can then be covered for emergency medical expenses and cancellation for a positive diagnosis of COVID-19, with AllClear travel insurance with enhanced Coronavirus cover. Existing policyholders should read our Frequently Asked Questions if your trip is affected by Covid-19.
What Does Gadget Cover Include?
What’s included in Gadget Cover will vary by the provider, and some will offer different levels of insurance to help you tailor your policy.
Here’s a summary of what’s included on an AllClear policy:
- Accidental damage and theft – we’ll cover the costs of repairing your gadget as a result of accidental damage or if necessary provide a replacement where possible, and we’ll replace it if it gets stolen
- Liquid damage – phone fell out of your pocket into the pool? We’ll cover the repairs or may provide a replacement for your gadget if it accidentally comes into contact with any liquid and gets damaged
- Breakdown – our insurance will cover the repair and may replace your gadget if a breakdown occurs outside of its manufacturer’s guarantee or warranty period
- Unauthorised calls, texts or data use – if your device is lost or stolen, additional costs occurring on your account after the time it is lost or stolen, to the time it is blacklisted by your airtime provider will be covered. Such costs may occur if someone uses it to make unauthorised calls, texts or uses data
Simple 3 step quote process
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Why Do I Need to Cover My Gadgets With Travel Insurance?
We did some research  and found that 6 out of 10 people value the gadgets they take on holiday at over £650. But 4 out of 5 people who had made a claim for lost or stolen gadgets while on holiday have had that claim rejected or only received partial payment. This is because they did not have specialist cover in place.
Gadgets are getting more expensive. They are already an essential part of our everyday lives. So, it’s highly likely that you’ll be taking one or more costly items with you when you travel. Protect your possessions with dedicated Gadget Cover, and have peace of mind.
What to Consider When Travelling With Gadgets?
If you’re travelling with gadgets, there are a few precautions you should take even if you’ve bought insurance. This will help to ensure everything runs smoothly on your trip and that you don’t invalidate your policy.
- Protect your devices – screen covers, cases and waterproof bags are usually cheap and worth buying as they help protect against cracked screens and water damage – which tend to be the most likely cause of damage
- Lock gadgets up – when you aren’t using your gadgets, leave them out of sight in your hotel room. Lock them in a safe if you have one available.
- Turn roaming off – roaming charges are costly, and most destinations have free wi-fi available.
- Back your data up –back-up your data on portable storage devices or in the cloud to ensure your vital pictures and documents are protected
- Take extra security measures – make sure your phone is locked with an access code or similar and if you are going to use public wi-fi networks, consider buying security software. You can also register your devices’ serial numbers on a site like Immobilise, which makes your gadgets easier to recover if lost or stolen.
Why More Than 3 Million People Have Chosen AllClear
We compare cover from up to 61 insurance providers, and 97% of customers rate us ‘Great’ or ‘Excellent.’
My first breakaway after two years since my diagnosis for Cardiomyopathy
Found the service very easy to use. I’m fully covered while on holiday and also chosen to cover my gadgets. Now just got to sit back relax and enjoy my break away!”
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
We hope you found this information on gadget insurance helpful and you enjoy your next holiday!
If you’d like to start a quote, click the quote now button below.
 Based on Trustpilot reviews of all companies in the Travel Insurance Company category that have over 25,000 reviews as of May 2021.