How to get the best over 50s travel insurance
So you’re over 50 and looking for travel insurance, and you may have found it a little more difficult than before you passed this milestone. That’s because 58 per cent of people over 60 have a long term medical condition, compared to 14 per cent of people under 40. We believe this fact shouldn’t stop your holidays. AllClear offer specialist over 50s travel insurance, which can cover: Any age. Any medical condition. Any destination.
Which means all you need to do is pick the best policy for you! This article will guide on how to do so, and further explain the benefits of over 50s travel insurance from AllClear.
The main benefits of cover
We have extensive levels of cover for all your travel needs:
- All medical conditions considered.
- 24-hour medical emergency helpline.
- Medical emergency expenses of up to £15,000,000.
- Up to £1,000 medical inconvenience benefit if you’re in hospital as an in-patient while you’re away.
- No age limits on selected policies.
- Cancellation cover of up to £5,000.
- Personal belongings cover of up to £5,000.
All these figures are per person and per trip.
Frequently asked questions
How is the price of your quote calculated?
The price of your quote is primarily based upon the likelihood of your medical conditions requiring treatment while abroad; the health care costs of your chosen destination; its distance from the UK; and your age. But importantly, the level of cover being offered to you as well. Our quote system acts as a comparison tool, so you can select a level of cover which suits you best.
How do you choose between single trip or annual multi-trip cover?
Single trip travel insurance is a policy which covers you for a one-off trip on selected dates. It has the great benefit of allowing you to travel for longer. Usually 92 days online, when you’re declaring medical conditions.
If you’re planning on getting away a few times in the next 12 months, buying an annual multi-trip policy can be cheaper. Also, annual cover gives you the freedom to travel as many times as you like throughout the year! The maximum trip duration does change between annual multi-trip policies, and you can view them here: Maximum trip durations. As an example, you can travel up to 45 days per trip on AllClear Gold and Gold Plus annual multi-trip cover – however old you are. And you can even pay a little bit more to get an extension up to 50 days!
Do you need travel insurance if you have an EHIC card?
You may be thinking that your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is sufficient. Indeed, it is true that EHIC allows you to get state healthcare at a reduced cost. But always remember the EHIC does not replace travel insurance. It won’t cover for you needing to cancel the holiday before you go, or return any lost expenses should you need to come home early.
Where as AllClear policies provide Emergency Medical Assistance Team 24 hours a day – 7 days a week.
Of course, if you’re travelling outside of Europe, travel insurance becomes even more vital.
Are there any exclusions for over 50s?
There are no benefits which stop at 50, though your options of cover can change in later years. For example, Winter Sports is available as an Optional Extra up to the age of 76. And certain policies which appear on our quote system from other insurance providers will have age restrictions on offering cover.
However, during your quote, you will only be displayed policies which offer fully comprehensive cover. What’s more, we have a diverse list of Optional Extras which have no age restrictions, and available to further boost your cover. Including Travelling Companion, Waiting List, Travel Disruption, and Golf cover.
Get quotes in just 3 easy steps
Our 5 star Trustpilot rating
What our customers say
Holiday tips for over 50s travel insurance
- Consider an active holiday! Take advantage of the wide range of activities that are covered with no additional cost on our 50s travel insurance, including: jet skiing; horse riding; scuba diving (to 30 metres deep); safari/gorilla trekking; cycling – and even camel riding!
- Have you thought about a cruise? Only Avanti and Zurich policies on your quote won’t cover them. Or, if you’re looking for cruise specialist cover, we offer specific cruise benefits at our website AllClear Cruise. These policies also have the ability to increase cancellation cover up to £15,000 per person online.
- Book your travel insurance early! Cancellation cover begins as soon as your policy does, which means the sooner you buy your travel insurance the more confident you can feel about being covered for your trip.
- Check you’ve got all your travel insurance documents before you go! In the event of a medical emergency, you’ll only initially need the medical emergency number for your policy. Which can be found in this article: Making a claim. However, some hospitals still like to check out your paperwork. If you lose your travel insurance documents, speak to our Customer Care Team via Live Chat our call us on 01708 339029 and we’ll resend them free of charge.