How to plan medical travel insurance for America
USA travel insurance covers you if you wish to travel to the USA with peace of mind at any age, even if you have pre-existing medical conditions. This type of insurance covers you for medical emergencies while abroad, which is vital to prevent unexpected medical bills and unnecessary complications that could arise when you’re away.
If you’re one of the 4.9 million Brits who visit the USA each year you don’t want your dream holiday ruined by a medical claim do you?
After all, America is the most expensive region in the world for medical care… which makes the right medical travel insurance more essential than ever.
That’s why we’re giving you a one-stop guide for all you need to know about American healthcare, culture and weather – so that you can pick the right cover for your trip!
How do you find the right travel insurance to USA with pre existing medical conditions ?
The key difference between the USA’s healthcare system and the UK’s is that there’s no tax-funded, universal care provided by the government.
With private companies pushing up prices, hospital costs in the USA can reach up to £7,000 per day and in extreme cases, medical evacuation could cost up to £65,000.
With these high medical claims in mind, consider a specialist travel insurance provider so you are covered just in case the worst should happen while you’re away.
Comprehensive cover should include:
- Cancellation: if you need to cancel your holiday before go
- Medical expenses: for illness and accidents when you are abroad
- Personal accident: for death or permanent disablement
- Curtailment: when needed to cut your holiday short
- Lost documents: cover for passports, tickets etc
- Possessions & baggage: for lost and stolen bags including contents
- Personal liability: when an accident caused by you affects a third party
Why choose AllClear?
AllClear was established in the year 2000 was the UK’s first provider of specialist medical travel insurance.
Since then we’ve covered over 1300 medical conditions for over 3 million people.
- We cover: Any condition. Any age. Any destination.
You can compare up to 61 prices online to find the perfect policy for your USA trip.
Benefits of AllClear Cover
|Emergency medical expenses and Repatriation costs||Up to £10m||Up to £15m||Up to £15m|
|Cancellation* and Curtailment||Up to £2k||Up to £15k||Up to £25k|
|Extended cover||30 days FREE||30 days FREE||30 days FREE|
|Friend or relative to travel from your home area to stay with you if you fall ill with Covid-19||Up to £2k||Up to £2k||Up to £2k|
|Travel Delay||Up to £100||Up to £350||Up to £500|
|Cost of return flight due to COVID-19|
|Personal Belongings||Up to £2k||Up to £2.5k||Up to £3k|
|Personal liability||Up to £2m||Up to £2m||Up to £2m|
|Legal protection cover||Up to £50k||Up to £50k||Up to £100k|
|* If you buy a policy which includes cancellation cover|
|All these figures are per person and per trip|
Will you be covered if you’re travelling during the COVID-19 pandemic?
There are three things to check so that you can make sure you're covered:
- You must be fit to travel
- The FCDO must NOT have advised against travel to your destination - check the FCDO travel advice
- You must follow the local government advice for your destination, checking and following their guidelines and entry requirements
You can then be covered for emergency medical expenses and cancellation for a positive diagnosis of COVID-19, with AllClear travel insurance with enhanced Coronavirus cover. Existing policyholders should read our Frequently Asked Questions if your trip is affected by Covid-19.
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
Simple 3 step quote process
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Making sure your medical insurance to travel to USA is valid
After finding the right travel insurance to the USA with pre-existing medical conditions, you’ll want to make sure it’s valid for your trip!
So here are a couple pointers for completing your quote.
Being fit to travel
It’s recommended that you arrange an appointment with your doctor at least 4-6 weeks before travel.
Be sure to inform the doctor you’re travelling to the USA and of any planned activities, so that they can confirm you’re fit to travel. Medical insurance USA requires you to be fit to travel before departing to ensure your travel insurance cover is valid.
Declaring your pre-existing medical conditions correctly
If you’re unsure how to answer a medical question during the quote, your doctor is the best person to ask. If you’re unsure what a question is asking, the Customer Care Team can assist you via Live Chat.
Other holiday preparations before you go
One thing is certain: there’s plenty for a tourist to get up to in the United States!
From New York’s city lights to the sound of jazz in New Orleans, right round to Disney World in Florida, there’s something for everyone.
But in this vast country with 52 states there are also extra preparations tourists need to consider…
Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA)
Before entering the United States, all travellers need to apply for an ESTA through the Visa Waiver Programme.
Here are the steps you’ll need to take:
- You should apply at least 72 hours before your flight by simply entering your passport details and completing a series of simple questions here. Your ESTA will be valid for 2 years or for the duration of your passport. During this period, you can enter the United States multiple times without applying for a new ESTA
- The charge is currently $14 per person which can be paid online
- Lastly, an ePassport is required, otherwise you will need to apply for a visa from the US embassy
A self-drive holiday in the United States is great for flexibility and exploring at your own pace.
Especially if you’re thinking about iconic drives like Route 66 and the beautiful coastal routes in California!
So what do you need to know?
- You do not require an International driving licence to hire a car; you only need your UK driver’s licence
- In most cases you need to be at least 21 years old to hire a car. However, some companies may even insist that you need to be 25
- Make sure you research the traffic laws in the states you plan to visit as they can vary from state to state
- Undertaking is allowed and will take place regularly on motorways
- You can turn right when a traffic light is red
- And of course, remember that they drive on the right-hand side!
The United State is the third largest country in the world so the weather varies dramatically from region to region. From -60°c in Alaska to 38°c in Death Valley, California, it’s hard to know what to expect.
You should check out the weather conditions for your destination during the months of your visit so you can prepare beforehand.
Hurricanes: Atlantic hurricane season runs from June to November, affecting US coastal regions.
Earthquakes: States prone to earthquakes include Alaska, California, Hawaii, Nevada, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Washington and Wyoming. Find advice on earthquakes here.
Wildfires: They occur in many dry areas such as in California, Texas, Utah, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Arizona.
Tips for after you arrive in the USA
Current health risks in America
Like any other holiday destination, there are certain health risks and America isn’t any different.
- Dengue fever: Mostly found in Florida, Hawaii and Texas.
- Zika virus: Mostly found in Florida, Texas, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands.
There are currently no vaccinations available for the above conditions, so take care to avoid mosquito bites in the affected regions.
Who you need to call in an emergency
If you do need medical treatment in the USA, be sure to call the emergency telephone number of your travel insurance as soon as possible. They will make sure you receive the correct medical treatment at the right hospital.
However, if you do need to call the local emergency number dial 911.
Tipping in America
Tipping takes on a whole new importance in the USA!
- At a restaurant or café, you should tip 15-20% of your total bill – if you’re happy with the service of course
- At a bar, again the tip should be 15-20% or $1 per drink
- For taxi service, a 10- 20% tip is expected
And the list goes on for many services provided! So it might be worth reading up in full on tipping etiquette.
 Based on Trustpilot reviews of all companies in the Travel Insurance Company category that have over 25,000 reviews as of May 2021.