Do you need Travel Insurance in Europe?
Europe travel insurance covers you for travel to a European country, even if you have pre-existing medical conditions. This type of insurance covers you for medical emergencies while abroad, even those related to COVID-19, which is vital to prevent unexpected medical bills and unnecessary complications that could arise when you’re away.
Coronavirus cover for Europe
It’s important that your Travel Insurance gives you complete peace of mind. We offer Covid cover with our travel insurance including medical emergency expenses of up to £15 million.
Travel Insurance benefits for Europe
Whether you’re travelling to Paris, Stockholm or Athens, finding yourself without any personal possessions or no way to get home in a foreign country is not a position anyone ever wants to find themselves in.
Travel insurance from AllClear covers you for these holiday problems, with cancellations and curtailment cover up to £25,000, and personal belongings cover up to £3,000, plus Medical Travel Insurance cover of up to £15million.
What countries does European Travel Insurance cover?
At Allclear we have helped insure millions of people since 2000 and we continue to provide specialised medical travel insurance to our ever-growing base of customers. Our European medical insurance covers every country on the European continent including:
Our AllClear European policies also cover:
Your AllClear European Travel Insurance will also cover your UK holidays, provided you have pre-booked accommodation.
Wherever you are travelling in Europe, let AllClear take care of your Medical Travel Insurance needs.
Benefits of AllClear Cover
|Emergency medical expenses and Repatriation costs||Up to £10m||Up to £15m||Up to £15m|
|Cancellation* and Curtailment||Up to £2k||Up to £15k||Up to £25k|
|Extended cover||30 days FREE||30 days FREE||30 days FREE|
|Friend or relative to travel from your home area to stay with you if you fall ill with Covid-19||Up to £2k||Up to £2k||Up to £2k|
|Travel Delay||Up to £100||Up to £350||Up to £500|
|Cost of return flight due to COVID-19|
|Personal Belongings||Up to £2k||Up to £2.5k||Up to £3k|
|Personal liability||Up to £2m||Up to £2m||Up to £2m|
|Legal protection cover||Up to £50k||Up to £50k||Up to £100k|
|* If you buy a policy which includes cancellation cover|
|All these figures are per person and per trip|
Planning and protecting your holiday abroadThings to know before you go:
- Remember to check the latest travel advice from the FCDO for your destination. You will have no cover if you choose to travel against FCDO advice, unless that advice relates specifically to Covid-19 (check our Covid FAQs for more details)
- Check any entry requirements and quarantine requirements for your chosen destination
- Choose a Travel Insurance policy that includes Covid-19 Cover
- For information on how Covid might affect your trip, visit our dedicated FAQs page
Simple 3 step quote process
1. Call us or click a quote button on our siteOnce you are ready to start the quote process, the first step is to provide your personal details and information about your holiday plans.
2. Complete our simple medical screening processYou then declare the medical conditions for you (and any other travellers) and answer the specifically designed medical questions.
3. Get your quotesYou will then get your quotes and can either proceed to buy, or save your quote, at this stage.
Will you be covered for travel during the Coronavirus pandemic?
You can then be covered for emergency medical expenses or cancellation due to a positive COVID-19 diagnosis when you have travel insurance with enhanced Coronavirus cover. If you’re an existing policyholder, please read our Frequently Asked Questions to answers regarding various scenarios.
What is the GHIC?
The GHIC replaces the EHIC card, however your EHIC remains valid in the EU until your card’s current expiry date.
The GHIC includes cover for emergency medical expenses for pre-existing conditions at the same rate as local citizens, which is why it is important to have a separate medical insurance policy in place before you travel.
While the GHIC entitles you to emergency medical cover, you are not entitled to the same standard of care delivered by the NHS free at the point of use, only the state healthcare for the same price as the residents of your destination country. Also GHIC doesn’t cover repatriation, meaning you could be required to pay thousands for your transport back to the UK. Further reasons to have European Travel Insurance are:
- Few EU countries pay the full cost of medical treatment, even under the European Union’s healthcare arrangements. You still need sufficient travel insurance to cover healthcare costs
- In some countries, such as Greece, the health service only covers medical treatment, and will not extend to feeding and personal care
If you need an air ambulance home or you can’t travel home on your booked ticket, you could still face a bill of thousands. A broken ankle, for example, can often mean a medical escort home (usually required by the airline in case of complications in flight) and a first-class seat for extra legroom.
You may not be covered if you need extra accommodation to stay with a sick relative.
Healthcare costs are rising in Europe so ensuring you have adequate medical travel insurance for Europe travel is more important than ever. AllClear provides medical travel insurance for Europe, so you can travel with complete peace of mind.
Travel insurance to Europe from AllClear covers all of the above. If you do find yourself in need of medical treatment when visiting Europe, you will not have to worry about any of these risks.
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
Read AllClear Trustpilot Reviews
Related Travel Insurance guides
- Medical Travel Insurance
- Single Trip Travel Insurance
- Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance
- Worldwide Travel Insurance
Author notes: By Letitia Smith MSc, Content Manager
 Based on Trustpilot reviews of all companies in the Travel Insurance Company category that have over 25,000 reviews as of May 2021.