Travel Insurance For India
India is a feast for the senses! From unique food to sultry music and breath-taking views of the Taj Mahal – a trip to India can be the holiday of a lifetime and rightly sits on many bucket lists. So, for such an adventurous trip, you’ll want comprehensive travel insurance for India…
Read on to find out exactly what cover you can get for holidays in India.
Do You Need Medical Travel Insurance For India?
Yes, while public healthcare costs are reasonable compared with the rest of the world, the standard of care in government and rural hospitals may not be to the standard of the NHS and if you need to be treated at a private facility, the costs could be substantial. Plus, medical travel insurance can also cover you for repatriation back to your Home Country if necessary. Given India is almost 5,000 miles away from the UK, including this cover could be worthwhile! We’re pleased to say every AllClear policy includes cover for medical expenses and repatriation.
4 Points to Consider When Choosing India Travel Insurance
- As a priority, your travel insurance policy for India must provide high levels of cover for medical treatment and repatriation, especially if you’re travelling with a pre-existing medical condition. You will also need to consider adequate cancellation cover in case an emergency prevents you from going on holiday. After all, you will want to protect your investment in such a great trip
- Is your travelling partner insured by another provider? They may not be covered for cancelling or cutting short their trip should you become unwell or injured. Fortunately we offer Travelling Companion Cover for this circumstance
- Are you covered if your airline or other transport company goes bust? If you have booked your flights and accommodation separately, your holiday is unlikely to be ABTA or ATOL protected. AllClear offer protection for airline or end supplier failure as standard to make sure you don’t lose money. However, please note other providers may offer this kind of cover for an additional charge
- Will you be bringing any expensive phones or cameras to India? We wouldn’t blame you for wanting to get those scenic shots! But you might want to consider Gadget cover. AllClear can protect up to seven gadgets for a maximum value of £3000. It’s a simple add-on to your main policy protecting you against loss, theft or damage
Key Benefits of AllClear Cover
- Medical expenses covered up to £15,000,000.
- Cancellation and Curtailment covered up to £5,000.
- Personal Belongings covered up to £3,000.
- All ages. All medical conditions. All destinations.
Planning an Active Holiday?
You should definitely consider what activities you plan to enjoy while travelling in India. It may be a wonderful place to relax and unwind, but there’s plenty to do in India for more adventurous holidaymakers.
You might also be surprised with how many activities we could cover free of charge. Including surfing, water skiing and windsurfing on AllClear Gold and Gold Plus policies.
In India’s mountainous areas – such as Alchi – you can even ski! And for this we can offer specialist winter sports cover.
Compare up to 61 Prices Online in Three Easy Steps
Travel Tips for India
The Indian rupee is the official currency (₹ or R). However you can’t take travel money into the country, so you’ll need to carry traveller’s cheques or cash and exchange your cash while you’re there.
If you’re a British citizen travelling India solely for a holiday or to visit friends and relatives, you can apply for a double entry e-Visa online on the Indian e-Visa website. This will allow you to stay for 60 days or re-enter the country within 60 days of the date of your first entry.
The e-Visa permits entry at designated air and cruise ports so it’s important to check that you’re arriving at one of these on the website before you buy.
You should also check your passport to make sure it has at least 2 blank pages and is valid for at least six months from the date you arrive in India
Hindi is the most widely spoken language in India (around 40% of the population speak it). English is also widely used.
Local Laws and Customs
Possessing or drinking of alcohol is prohibited in some states including Bihar, Gujarat, Kerala, Manipur, Nagaland and the union territory of Lakshadweep so it’s important to check before you set-off.
If you’re a bird watcher or keen photographer, you may need prior permission to bring powerful cameras or binoculars into India. In this case, you should seek advice from the Indian High Commission in London before travelling.
The UK Government’s FCO website recommends a visit to your doctor 4-6 weeks before you travel to India. You will need to check that your immunisations are up-to-date or if you need a booster for Diphtheria, Hepatitis A, Tetanus and Typhoid vaccines. You may also want to consider other vaccinations for Cholera, Hepatitis B, Japanese Encephalitis and Rabies.
You will also need to take suitable antimalarial tablets if you’re travelling to areas at high risk of malaria.
Why More Than 3 Million People Have Trusted AllClear Cover
97% of customers have rated us ‘Excellent’ or ‘Great’.
“Excellent service: was looking for travel insurance to India, for those aged 70+. Superb array of possibilities, and was able to choose suitable cover. Completed the form on line, was accepted and all information emailed to me, followed by hard copy. Simple, informative and efficient on line service.”
We hope you found our guide to travel insurance for India helpful and enjoy your next trip!
If you would like to take us with you, click the quote now button below to compare up to 61 prices!
Frequently Asked Questions About India Travel Insurance
When does the cover begin?
Full benefits begin on the travel dates you have selected. However, if you have chosen cancellation cover to be included, this cover begins as soon as you buy your policy. For this reason, it’s important to buy your travel insurance as early as possible – or as soon as you have your trip booked. You can book a single trip policy up to 12 months in advance of your holiday
What is the age limit on India Travel Insurance policy?
We’re pleased to say our AllClear Gold and Gold Plus policies have no age limits. During your quote, you’ll only be shown quotes which can cover your age category.
What’s the maximum trip length on a single trip travel insurance policy?
Allowed trip lengths vary between policies, however, the maximum you can get for a single trip quote online is for up to 92 days. Find out more about maximum trip durations here: How long you can travel for.
Is it best to buy a single or an annual multi-trip policy?
Whether buying a single or annual multi-trip policy is best for you, it depends on how often you intend to travel during the next 12 months. If you are going on holiday multiple times throughout the year, an annual policy could work out better value for you.
With an annual multi-trip policy you can travel as many times as you like throughout the period of your insurance. There are, however, limits on the number of days you can be away for any one trip; which for some providers also depends upon your age.